How can I stop my ex from having a financial claim after we divorce?

When you divorce from your spouse, you can have financial claims against each other. Financial claims can include a claim against a house, savings, pensions or income (spousal maintenance). Many people think that the divorce itself brings the financial claims to an end – it doesn’t. Even years after separation, your assets could be at risk unless you sort out the financial claims within the divorce process. This is a really straight forward process and involves filing an agreed order at the court (called a consent order), and providing to the court some basic information about your finances.

You should still consider having a consent order even if you don’t have assets at this stage….who knows what may happen in the future? You may receive inheritance or win the lottery! The consent order is like an insurance policy – it means that you have protection against claims in the future

If you have done your own divorce, we can still help. The consent order can be filed at court any time after the decree nisi has been pronounced.

How can we help?

At Best Solicitors, we can provide you with a free initial assessment to see whether a consent order is right for you and how to put it in place. We also offer fixed fees if you want to go ahead with a consent order

Please contact our specialist family finances Solicitor, Angela Lally, for more information.  / 077966 86730

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on google
Share on whatsapp
Share on email